Pinnacle Gazette

Trump Evacuated From White House Correspondents’ Dinner After Gunfire

President and First Lady unharmed as chaos erupts during annual gala at Washington Hilton

Category: Politics

President Donald Trump and First Lady Melania Trump were evacuated from the White House Correspondents’ Dinner on Saturday evening after loud gunshots interrupted the event, leading to chaos in the ballroom of the Washington Hilton. The incident occurred shortly after the couple took the stage, prompting immediate action from the U.S. Secret Service and local law enforcement.

The FBI confirmed that a suspect was in custody following the shooting, which witnesses reported involved three or four loud bangs. Attendees quickly dove under tables for cover as Secret Service agents yelled "shots fired." Reports indicate that the shooter was subdued before reaching the ballroom, where the annual gala honoring the White House press corps was taking place. This year’s dinner was already tense due to Trump’s presence and that of several cabinet members, including Treasury Secretary Scott Bessent and Acting Attorney General Todd Blanche.

In a post on Truth Social, Trump praised the Secret Service and law enforcement for their swift response, stating, "They acted quickly and bravely." He assured that he and his cabinet were safe and announced plans for a press conference later that evening from the White House. "The First Lady, plus the Vice President, and all Cabinet members, are in perfect condition," Trump wrote, adding that they would be rescheduling the dinner within 30 days.

Chaos reigned in the ballroom as journalists and guests reacted to the noise. CNN’s Wolf Blitzer reported seeing someone with a gun on the ground after the shooting started. "I did see the gunman on the ground after he started shooting," he said. "Police officers threw him to the ground." Meanwhile, Democratic Congressman Jamie Raskin, who was present, described the scene: "I think a Secret Service agent threw me to the ground... People were terrified; people seem to be relieved now."

Outside the hotel, helicopters circled overhead, heightening the sense of urgency. The Secret Service later stated that the shooting occurred near the main magnetometer screening area, which is typically where attendees pass through security before entering the event. "The condition of those involved is not yet known, and law enforcement is actively assessing the situation," said Antony Guglielmi, Chief of Communications for the Secret Service.

The contextual backdrop

The White House Correspondents’ Dinner, a tradition dating back to 1921, has often was a platform for humor and camaraderie between the press and political figures. The event has seen its share of controversies, especially during Trump’s presidency, as he previously skipped the dinner in 2022 and during his first term. This year’s gathering was particularly notable as it marked Trump’s return to an event he had avoided for years, drawing attention from both supporters and detractors.

The Washington Hilton, where the dinner is held, has historical significance as the site of a previous assassination attempt on President Ronald Reagan in 1981. The presence of high-profile attendees, including celebrities and government officials, adds to the event's intensity, making security a top priority. This year’s dinner, attended by numerous cabinet members and press representatives, was expected to be a highlight of the season until the shooting abruptly altered the atmosphere.

What lies ahead

In the aftermath of the shooting, there are questions about the future of the White House Correspondents’ Dinner and the safety protocols in place for such high-profile events. Weijia Jiang, President of the White House Correspondents Association, initially announced that the program would resume but later confirmed that the dinner was canceled at the request of law enforcement. "Thank God everyone is safe, and thank you for coming together tonight," she said, expressing hope for a future gathering.

Trump indicated that he would defer to law enforcement on whether to reschedule the event sooner rather than later. "Regardless of that decision, the evening will be much different than planned, and we’ll just, plain, have to do it again," he stated. The incident has reignited discussions about security measures at public events, particularly those involving political figures.

As the investigation continues, the White House is expected to provide updates on safety protocols and any potential changes to future events. Trump’s upcoming press conference, scheduled for thirty minutes after the evacuation, is anticipated to address both the incident and the administration's response moving forward. The situation remains fluid, and the implications of this event may resonate beyond the immediate aftermath.

This article is grounded in a discussion trending on Reddit. Claims from the original post and comments may not reflec independently verified reporting.