Pinnacle Gazette

Passengers Stranded at Milan Airport Due to New EU Border Rules

Over 100 EasyJet travelers faced chaos and delays as new biometric checks caused lengthy queues at Linate Airport.

Category: Travel

More than 100 EasyJet passengers found themselves stranded at Milan's Linate Airport on April 12, 2026, after their flight to Manchester took off without them, primarily due to severe delays caused by the newly implemented European Entry/Exit System (EES). The situation escalated to the point where some passengers were left feeling ill from the heat, with reports of vomiting and fainting.

The EES, which became fully operational on April 10, 2026, was intended to streamline border checks by replacing the traditional practice of manually stamping passports with a system requiring biometric data collection, including fingerprints and photographs. The UK government had previously warned travelers heading to the Schengen area that they might need to register their biometric details upon arrival, but stated no action was required before reaching the border.

As the new system was rolled out, passengers at Milan's Linate Airport faced queues of up to three hours at passport control, resulting in widespread frustration and confusion. Vicky Chapman, a 26-year-old from Wirral, England, was among those affected. She arrived at the airport with her family well ahead of their scheduled 11 a.m. flight but was unable to clear passport control in time. "We got to the airport with more than enough time, and got to our gate at 9:30 a.m., but we were totally refused entry through passport control," she recounted. "We were then told that we are a ‘no show’ on our flight because we did not get to the gate on time, even though passport control had issues and they would not let us through."

Chapman, along with her partner and young son, faced a long wait in the heat, which led to distressing scenes as several passengers struggled with the sweltering conditions. "It was so hot in the airport, people were vomiting, people were almost passing out," she said. Eventually, the family learned they would not be able to return home until Tuesday, April 14, 2026, and were forced to book an Airbnb for the night.

EasyJet, in response to the chaos, acknowledged the situation was "out of control" and apologized for the inconvenience caused. A spokesperson stated, "We are aware that some passengers departing from Milan Linate today experienced longer than usual waiting times at passport control and we advised customers due to fly to allow additional time to make their way through the airport. We held flight EJU5420 from Milan to Manchester for nearly an hour to give passengers extra time, but it had to then depart due to crew reaching their safety regulated operating hours." The airline also offered free flight transfers for customers who missed their flights.

Reports indicated that only about 30 passengers managed to board their flight to Manchester. Among those left behind was Kiera, 17, from Oldham, who described her ordeal. "We got here at 7:30 a.m. for our flight at 11 a.m. and got to border control, and it was a massive queue of people. I wasn't feeling great anyway because I think I'd got food poisoning. At about 10:50 a.m., they brought some water over for people, and when we got to the front of the queue, someone asked us if we were going to Manchester and told us our flight had just gone," she said.

Another passenger, Adam Lomas, 33, expressed his frustration after attempting to contact EasyJet for assistance. He noted, "I tried to contact EasyJet, but just got chatbots. When I finally got through to a human, there were audio issues, and they hung up on me after a few minutes." Lomas, who was traveling with his wife and infant daughter, ended up looking for alternative transportation home after realizing they would not make their flight.

Passengers faced the challenge of missing their flights and the financial burden of rebooking. One traveler reported that her mother had to pay £520 to book new flights to London Gatwick instead of Manchester, and another party had to arrange a £400 taxi fare from Gatwick back to Manchester.

As the day progressed, images and videos shared on social media depicted the chaos at the airport, highlighting the long lines and frustrated passengers. EasyJet reiterated its call for border authorities to maximize the use of permitted flexibilities within the EES framework to mitigate delays. The airline's spokesperson stated, "We continue to urge border authorities to make full and effective use of the permitted flexibilities for as long as needed to avoid these unacceptable border delays for our customers."

The implementation of the EES has already drawn criticism, with many passengers expressing their dissatisfaction with the handling of the situation. The Brussels-based trade association Airlines for Europe even demanded that border control authorities suspend the EES when waiting times become excessive.

As the dust settles on this chaotic travel day, the implications of the new border system remain a concern for many travelers. With the EES now in place, it is expected that travelers will need to prepare for longer wait times at borders throughout Europe. The UK government has updated its travel guidance, advising that biometric registration may be required when entering the Schengen area, and that travelers should expect delays.

For those who experienced the turmoil at Milan Linate, the frustrations of a missed flight and unexpected costs are a stark reminder of the challenges posed by new travel regulations. With the summer travel season approaching, many are left to wonder how such delays will affect future travel plans. As one passenger lamented, "This shouldn’t be an insurance job; the airline should take responsibility. There’s now 100 of us who won’t ever use EasyJet again."