Pinnacle Gazette

Lebanon's Displaced Civilians Hope for Peace as Ceasefire Takes Effect

A temporary truce brokered by the U.S. offers a glimmer of hope for returnees in southern Lebanon

Category: Politics

Thousands of displaced Lebanese civilians took to the roads on Friday, hoping a 10-day ceasefire with Israel would allow them to return to their homes in southern Beirut and the country’s war-torn south. Traffic was heavy on routes leading south from the capital, even as Israeli Defense Minister Israel Katz warned that operations against Hezbollah were not yet complete and that civilians might need to evacuate once again.

Just minutes before the ceasefire came into effect at midnight, a series of Israeli strikes in the southern city of Tyre resulted in at least 13 fatalities and the destruction of six residential buildings, according to a city official. The strikes underscored the fragility of the truce, which has been met with mixed emotions among the displaced. For many, the ceasefire, brokered under pressure from U.S. President Donald Trump, represented a new source of hope.

“Our feelings are indescribable, pride and victory,” said 37-year-old Amani Atrash from her car seat on a road leading to a bridge into southern Lebanon, expressing hopes that the truce would be extended. The ceasefire, albeit temporary, has provided a much-needed respite for families eager to return to their homes.

Under the terms of the ceasefire, Israel reserves the right to continue targeting Hezbollah to prevent “planned, imminent, orongoing attacks.” It also announced the maintenance of a 10-kilometer (6-mile) security zone along the border in southern Lebanon. Katz stated that the area stretching from this security zone north to the Litani River had not yet been “cleared of terrorists and weapons.” He cautioned that if diplomatic efforts failed to achieve that goal, military action could resume. “If the fighting resumes, those residents who return to the security zone will have to be evacuated to allow completion of the mission,” he said.

Lebanese President Joseph Aoun, who had previously resisted U.S. pressure to engage directly with Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, acknowledged the importance of direct negotiations. He stated that such talks were “crucial” for Lebanon’s future. Beirut’s goals include consolidating the ceasefire, securing the withdrawal of Israeli forces from occupied territories, recovering prisoners, and addressing unresolved border disputes.

Meanwhile, Hezbollah, the Iran-backed movement, stated that its finger remains “on the trigger” in case of any Israeli violations. The group’s readiness to respond highlights the tense atmosphere surrounding the ceasefire. Long lines of displaced families began traversing the bomb-damaged Qasmiyeh Bridge near Tyre after bulldozers restored the crossing, enabling them to return home.

Across the border in Israel, the military’s home front command had not yet lifted restrictions on civilian movements in vulnerable areas. Nonetheless, some Israeli civilians expressed cautious optimism about a return to normalcy. “I’ve got a three-year-old girl and a two-month-old baby, and the whole time we’ve just not left the house because you never know when there’ll be a rocket attack,” said 31-year-old Ofir Ben-Ari. “It’s been crazy, but I think things will be quiet now and I’ll be able to take my daughter to the park,” she added.

The ceasefire is seen as a key step in Washington’s broader efforts to negotiate an end to its conflict with Iran, which has insisted that halting hostilities in Lebanon must be part of any agreement. Pakistan has been actively leading diplomatic efforts to restart face-to-face talks between Tehran and Washington, with Trump stating that they were “very close” to reaching an agreement.

The fighting initially erupted in Lebanon on March 2 when Hezbollah fired rockets at Israel shortly after the onset of the Middle East war, in retaliation for the killing of Iranian Supreme Leader Ali Khamenei. Trump mentioned that he had spoken to both Netanyahu and Aoun before the ceasefire was established, which they agreed upon “in order to achieve peace between their countries.” He also indicated that he expected both leaders to visit the White House in the coming days.

A high-level meeting between Lebanese and Israeli leadership could mark a watershed moment for the region, yet it remains uncertain whether such discussions will come to fruition. Netanyahu has characterized the ceasefire with Lebanon as an opportunity for a “historic peace agreement” but emphasized that the disarmament of Hezbollah is a prerequisite for any lasting peace.

Lebanese Prime Minister Nawaf Salam welcomed Trump’s announcement, calling the truce a “key Lebanese demand that we have pursued since the very first day of the war.” As the ceasefire holds, the international community watches closely, hoping for a breakthrough that could stabilize the region.

The situation remains fluid, with both hope and caution prevailing among the affected populations. As families begin to return to their homes, the underlying tensions persist, and the specter of renewed conflict hangs. The ceasefire might be a temporary reprieve, but for many, it is a chance to rebuild their lives after enduring months of turmoil.

As the days of the ceasefire progress, the world closely to see if it leads to a more permanent peace, or if the region will once again be plunged into violence. The coming weeks will be decisive, as diplomatic efforts continue and the realities on the ground evolve.